Sunday, October 18, 2009

Casablanca

I have never seen a black and white film, but tonight I was able to see one for the first time. I am glad that the movie "Casablanca" had that particular honor. In watching the opening scenes of the movie, I initially notice that this was set in a time of war with Nazi's and French armies. Then right after that the film shows a African American named Sam (Dooley Wilson) in the film, singing for an entire room full of Caucasians. Humphrey Bogart which many people have always referred as the leading man, makes his appearance. My initial impression of him was that of a hard ass, selfish, and very gentleman. In the article "Casablanca" by Ray Merlock, it was described that the movie in which it was adapted by had different lines with some foul language and situations. I truly enjoyed the movie without any foul language or indecent situations, taking me back to the age of innocence and romanticizing period of time. This movie if release in today's society would not be received well, just for the fact that a song is sung within it. But the song in the film is a highlight and well place with its meaning, showing how Bogart loneliness is visible kink in his armour of manliness. With the scene in which he is sitting in the dark, drinking with visible tears and Ingrid Bergman enters the room to explain why she didn't go with him. Another part of the film that I found interesting was that in which the Germans begin singing a song, and the french begin singing alongside overtaking the Germans. Afterwards the French celebrating to signify a victory over the Germans. I can see why this film is regarded as one of the all time best, as it has romance, suspense, and conflict which leads to people remembering the film as the article by Kathy Merlock Jackson and Jack Nachbar in Playing It Again and Again describe. This leads to the merchandising that people want, and reason as it why there are still black and white posters with Bogart and Bergman. Overall the film was a true work of art, and I have to say I am glad I seen the film and will see it again.

No comments: